Monday 31 January 2011

Javanese Ginger Squares

IMG_0876
I never really understood where the ginger and chocolate combination came from. Why ginger specifically? If you’re going for spices, why stop there? Why not try parsley, or coriander, or even garlic?

I think I just answered my own question.


IMG_0844

But you better get used to it, there’s a series of ginger related posts coming up. Ginger is good for you, it makes really nice sweet ginger tea which is great if you have the snuffles (and dark chocolate is high in antioxidants…so….chocolate + ginger = …cure for cancer?).

Also because ginger recipes were the only ones left in my Green & Black’s cookbook.

IMG_0833
So first, well, first I took loads of photos of chopped up ginger  from about 20 angles, then I melted the chocolate (I cheated, and melted it in the microwave instead of on the hob, please don’t judge me!), and added all of the other bits and bobs (see recipe below).

I crushed the biscuits in a plastic bag with a rolling pin, except the bag kind of burst and covered the kitchen counter in sugary buttery biscuit dust. This always happens, but since I was at home (as opposed to uni) when I made this I just, sort of, brushed it onto the floor and hoped my slippers-wearing family wouldn’t notice until the next vacuuming session (or until biscuits crumbs sticking to the slippers ubiquitously appeared all over the house).

I could totally write a book on ‘How-To-Create-a-Mess-In-the-Kitchen-Completely- By-Accident-And-Ways-To-Pretend-That-You-Are-Busy-Therefore-Avoiding-Having-To-Clean-It-Up”. But I digress.

IMG_0852
The mix included more ginger, gingernut biscuits, and you could really push the boat out and even go for ginger chocolate. We are now in Very Spicy Ginger Territory – hold on tight.

IMG_0858
When I made it, I had to put the mix in the fridge to chill overnight. The fridge was empty; there was only one food in there. And it was chocolate.

…I really don’t know how it came out of the fridge the next day with a big chunk missing out the top (nicely patched together with some more chocolate for photographic purposes)…

So when I was writing this I googled ‘interesting facts about ginger’ in which absolutely nothing interesting came up. I did, however, find out that: “in spite of it being a natural remedy, it's important that any medicinal use of ginger be discussed with a physician, as it must be taken in moderation to avoid gastric irritation”. Haha, I also made this for my neighbours at our new neighbour party.

IMG_0860
I think that when I made this in total I used about 1kg of chocolate/sugar/butter/biscuits for this recipe….I mean, this was so wrong.

IMG_0888

But then again, being right is overrated anyway :)

Lesson learned today: Ginger is good for you, but it may give you gas. Eat in moderation, and preferably not in public.

Javanese Ginger Squares

Cuts into very very many
Takes something along the lines of an hour

Ingredients
400g/7oz dark chocolate broken into pieces
120g/2oz unsalted butter
One 425ml tin condensed milk
250g/5oz gingernut biscuits, crushed
250g/5oz crystallized ginger, chopped
70g/2oz dessicated coconut


Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl suspended over a saucepan of barely simmering water.  When melted, stir in the butter and condensed milk.
Set a quarter of the ginger aside and stir in the remainder with the crushed biscuits and the coconut.  Mix well.
Spoon the mixture into a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper.  Level the surface and dot with the remaining ginger pieces, pressing them into the chocolate.
Chill overnight before lifting out with the paper and cutting into small squares.

3 comments:

  1. They look great! Andnhehe your mention of chocolate and parsley made me giggle but then curious. I wonder what that would be like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou :) Maybe you could make a recipe with chocolate and parsley? I'm sure it will be 'interesting', though it's definitely one to try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look delightful... but your fridge is empty - I'm worried!!!

    ReplyDelete

Like it? Love it? Hate it? Rate it! I'd love to hear what you think :)